Saturday, October 22, 2011

Week 3 in country- Volume 2

I'm glad to hear that things are going really well out there! We literally are on the opposite side of the world. 12 hour time difference. Crazy.
Answers to questions:
Our apartment is a very small home. But this is considered to be high-living here. I will send pictures next week of it all. There is not hot water. There are mice, ants and cockroaches...but it's all good!
We go to "computer shops" to email. They are EVERYWHERE. Very popular here. All of the popular videogames are on the computer. Nobody has Nintendos, Xboxs, etc.
My companion is cool. We are very different. He lived his entire life in Idaho and was very sheltered. He is a workaholic and gung-ho, but thats good. It will help me form good mission habits. But we get along. We have been able to relate and bond. He isn't the best at Tagalog but he's amazing compared to me. Contrary to your thoughts, I wish I had a Filipino companion to start because I would learn the language faster. We speak English too much with each other. But overall, we are doing well.
I am eating and drinking enough. But adjusting to the food has not been pleasant. My digestive system is screaming at me! It's all good though. I'll come around eventually. I love the food. It's delicious. 
We do most of our shopping at the grocery store Shopwise. It's pretty close to an American grocery store but there are so many more options and varieties of products. Tons of brands. I'm not used to the currency either. It's hard for me to judge what is a good price and what isn't. 
Yes, we are fed by members, but not all that often. Once or twice a week. I wish I could speak Tagalog better because my companion is not very personable. I have befriended 2 families in our ward who know english pretty well and they help me learn Tagalog when we visit. 
Surprisingly, we don't need to use bug spray where we are right now. They aren't bad at all. I've been bitten by 5 mosquitos total. 
We get 4000 pesos every 2 weeks. It's amazing how cheap everything is here. A full meal of fire roasted chicken and UNLIMITED rice at the restaurant Mang Inasal is only 2 dollars. It's awesome. 

Anyway, there are the questions answered haha. 

I won't be able to send the normal weekly update this week because I don't have time. But I sent a bunch of pictures so that will have to make up for it this week. Please send those to the email list members. Thanks and enjoy!

Everything is going well here and I am excited to continue to grow and be able to serve the people of the Philippines even more. I am doing my best.

I love and miss you guys!

Elder Stallings

No comments:

Post a Comment