Monday, October 10, 2011

Elder Stallings has reached the Philippines! (Letter #1)

This is one crazy ride. 
It's official, I am in a different world.
There are so many things that I could say but I guess I'll just start rambling.

We first went to the mission home where we were greeted by the President, his wife and the APs. The second person I saw was Elder Tyler Haws who is an AP. We met our companions, had a dinner of rice and ulam with fresh mangoes for dessert, and had an orientation meeting. My companion's name is Elder Butler and he is from Pocatello, Idaho. After we were finished we headed straight for our area. We are working in Antipolo in the province of Rizal. 

I knew what a 3rd world country was and I thought I knew what to expect...but no. I only had the slightest idea. It is truly humbling the circumstances in which the people live. Their homes are nothing more than concrete blocks and ply wood for walls, sheet metal for roofs and cement floors or just dirt. There is the occasional home that has tile floors and is a little more sturdily built. That first night we went out to visit a less active member named Vivian. We walked out of our apartment (which is located in a more wealthy area. More about our apartment later.), went to the front gate and waited for a jeepney. Jeepneys. Now this is an experience. They look like old, World War II jeeps elongated limo-style. The outsides of them are painted top to bottom with the most random assortment of designs, words, pictures and ornaments. They are almost always completely packed with people, cheek to cheek, and falling out the back. There are often people just standing on the back bumper hanging on. We climb in and they set down a tiny foot-stool in the aisle so that me and my companion can sit. Soon, the jeepney stops, someone gets off and I take their seat. Let's just say I'm a little bit bigger than the average Filipino. We get of at the burunga (sub-section of living areas) Eldorado. This burunga is one that actually has streets. We walk down a side street that is now just crumpled up pieces of cement. All of a sudden we turn into a tiny alley way, about 3 feet wide, between a couple homes. My companion stops outside an open doorway and calls with the greeting "tao po" (way of knocking. litterally means "people"). We are greeted by vivian and she invites us to sit down on the rug. The household is about 10 ft x 10ft with a single wall dividing it into two rooms. There is a small table, no chairs and a corner with a counter and shelves. An old tv sits next to me. The walls are decorated with plastic table cloths and other such items. 3 of her children come to join us. We start talking (more like them and my companion start talking) and it is close to impossible for me to understand what is being said. The combination of everyone's accent, the speed at which they speak and when they speak quietly (which is often, especially during lessons) makes it very hard to understanding. I offer a prayer and bear my testimony in this lesson because those are some of the few things that I can do. The spirit in the lesson is great. Teaching in an environment such as this and to these people is completely different. The message of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and his love and care for us seems even more positive and substantial. They are eager to listen to this message of strengthening and celestial support. Everyone is very, very nice. So humble. So personable. Because they don't have many material things, they turn more to their relationships with their families and friends.

Sorry, I hate when writing isn't separated into paragraphs. I'll do better next time. I just have so much to write in so little time so it's sloppy.

Some other things I have seen that have stood out to me.
Everyone stares at us. We are big and white. Literally, all eyes on us. Everyone poking their heads out to get a look. Kids always running around in the streets playing with each other. We sit in a lesson while their daughter is outside playing with a plastic figurine in a bucket of muddy water. Stray, starving dogs everywhere, eating anything. Very unusual diseases. A man with one side of his face with black skin and white, porcupine needle hair covering the whole side. A woman with a bushel of dried candle wax drips for a nose. These situations are all very humbling. The culture shock is prominent. 

Along with jeepneys, even more popular are tricycles. All range of motorcycles with side care attached to them. You will see 6 people crammed on one. 3 people behind the driver on the back of the motorcycle sitting sideways and 3 people in the cart. The traffic is unbelievable. Vehicles whizzing around chaotically with no structure. Hanging off the side of a tricycle with cars a couple inches away from you is a thrill. All the while, people are running across the streets and between vehicles as they please. Intersections can be a nightmare. There are few traffic signals.

The work is great. There are a lot of people who are interested and who were are finding and teaching. Although most of our work right now is finding less actives members and figuring out their concerns and helping them restore their faith. Church was really good yesterday. We had 3 less active families come and 1 investigator. I was the first to bare my testimony and introduce myself. All the while a dumping rain storm was pounding down, making it hard to hear the speakers. The building is beautiful. Very nice. The churches stick out like a sore thumb amongst the other buildings and homes. I met so many awesome members at church. They are unusually kind. 

I try my best in lessons. I am able to share simple messages and discuss topics simply and my companion takes over the details. I just hope that I am able to bring the Spirit as best I can.

The food is great. I've loved everything so far. From shark meat to banana-Q. Masarap.

Ah. I am out of time. I really want to continue but we have to get going.

Even after being here for so short a time, my testimony has grown and I have seen the Lord's hand in the work that we are doing here. I am excited to be helping others build faith in Jesus Christ and make the first steps on the path to eternal happiness.

I miss you all and I hope all is well!

Much love,

Elder Stallings

2 comments:

  1. Is the Tyler Haws the tyler haws from Apline that plays basketball for BYU?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Antipolo (officially: "City of Antipolo", Filipino: Lungsod ng Antipolo) is a city in the Philippines located in the province of Rizal; about 25 kilometers east of Manila. It is the largest city in the Calabarzon Region in terms of population. It is also the seventh most populous city in the country with a population of 633,971 in 2007.
    It was converted from a municipality into a component city of Rizal Province on April 4, 1998 under Republic Act No. 8508. A new provincial capitol was inaugurated in the city in March 2009 to replace the old capitol in Pasig City which has long been outside the jurisdiction of Rizal Province; after Pasig was included in Metro Manila in 1975. With the transfer of the provincial government to Antipolo, it is highly favored to be officially designated as the new capital of the province.[1] On March 14, 2011, Antipolo was declared a "highly-urbanized city" by President Benigno Aquino; such proclamation however still needs to be ratified in a plebiscite.[2]
    The city is popular for being a pilgrimage site. It prides itself as the "Pilgrimage Capital of the Philippines."[3] The Marian image of the Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage or the Virgin of Antipolo, which was brought in from Mexico in 1626, and enshrined in the Antipolo Cathedral has a continuous following among Filipino Catholics since the Spanish era.[4] A popular custom of pilgrims to the Virgin of Antipolo is the trek going to its shrine on the eves of Good Friday and May 1 from various locations in Rizal Province and Metro Manila. Some pilgrims would begin the trek from Quiapo Church in Downtown Manila following the procession of the image.[5] There is also an existing custom to have new cars blessed at the church in the belief that this will ensure the safety of the car and its passengers.[6]
    Its higher elevation than that of Metro Manila affords it a scenic view of the metropolis, especially at night. Its locally grown mangoes and cashews are popular among tourists, as well as suman – a local delicacy made out of sticky rice. The Hinulugan Taktak National Park, which was once a popular summer get-away is being restored to become again one of the city's primary attractions.[7]

    ReplyDelete